Doctor Who – The Waters of Mars micro-review (minor spoilers)
I just finished watching the latest Doctor Who special and the last before the two part Christmas finale which marks the end of the Tennant reign. I loved the trailers for this special and have looked forward to it eagerly. Unfortunately I was a little disappointed. It was not bad, just not nearly as good as the trailer hype.
- The Mars biodome – shades of Silent Running. Could have been a great atmospheric setting for many scenes. Instead criminally underused.
- Ensemble cast of trapped workers in an alien environment with some monster(s) on the loose. Always a good potential – see “Alien” and many others.
- The exploration of the idea the the Doctor was getting fed up being a slave to cosmic events, and wanted to take more control
- The actual infected people. Great make up.
- Adelaide’s ultimate act
- The trailer for the Christmas special
- The underuse of the outside/biodome setting.
- The shallowness of the characters. We never really got to know any of the supporting characters. Even with Adelaide I didn’t feel I really connected with her. There was a hint of tension between her and the 2nd in command Ed but this was never expanded upon.
- The stupid robot (reminded me of the dumb robot guards in the Phantom Menace)
- The over the top uptempo music for the running scenes.
- David Tennant’s portrayal of the change in character of the Doctor seemed forced and black and white with little subtlety.
- The use of the newspaper/website reports to “fill in” the backstory of the characters seemed a lazy way to do it.
- It wasn’t nearly as frightening as it could have been. Previous episode “Blink” was much more frightening.
- The explanation of why the water was infected was lame and confused.
Overall I think I can only give it 6, maybe 7 at a stretch. I was hoping it was going to be a 8 or a 9 out of 10.