Using the Eurosport Player
Here are some brief experiences using the Eurosport Player service, which I am trying so I can follow the Giro d’Italia bike race.
- I am using a Windows 7 laptop and Chrome browser, and using the service from UK
- i have a fairly decent broadband connection (about 20Mbps)
- You can subscribe to the service either on a month by month (cancel anytime) for £4.99, or a yearly subscription (£2.99)
- There is a separate Android (and iOS) service, I believe it is a separate subscription
- The Android app gets the worst ever reviews on the Google Play store. In fact, now I can’t even download that app even if I wanted too, as it has mysteriously become “unavailable” for my devices, or my location. (It wasn’t like that a few days ago)
- The streaming quality is not bad, about standard def, but definitely not HD. I had a pretty constant connection while watching for a couple of hours. Only the very occasion short pause or buffering.
- It looked reasonably good when fed into a 40″ LCD TV using standard VGA cables.
- The video quality is better than those types of streams or videos you see on youtube or other “unofficial” sources.
- There does NOT appear to be any “catch-up” or on-demand facility to watch videos for Giro after they have been broadcast.
- Eurosport are showing all the stages of the Giro live on one of their two channels, and there is a highlights show about 10:30pm each evening which lasts about 60-90 minutes.
- Since the Giro occurs during the day, I can’t watch the live broadcasts except weekends, although there is a lot of good action on the weekends including the main time trial and the climax in a couple of weekends from now. So will be reliant on the highlights shows (and their timing since no catchup) during weekdays.
- the support from Eurosport regarding this service is pretty poor. Their twitter account hasn’t been active since about 2 years ago. The comments on the Google Play store about the Android app suggest attempts to contact Eurosport for service issues fall on deaf ears.